Worsley Road URC has its origins in the cotton industry. In
1861 the owners of a local mill, Gibb and Sons, in Moorside,
Swinton, saw the need to give children a basic education.
Sunday School was so popular that in 1862 the Rev. Bubier
of Hope Chapel, Salford formed the group into a Congregational
Church, having only 16 members at the outset. The project
of building a Chapel was soon underway.
the scheme being delayed until 1870 due to the American Civil
War and the consequent cotton famine, a committee was appointed
to take the project forward. The committee first met in January
1870 and worked with such energy that the site in Worsley
Road was bought, plans of the Chapel were passed, and the
foundation stone laid by John Gibb on May 28th of the same
months later, in November, the Church was opened, with the
Rev. Brown of London being the preacher. Residential Expansion
With the expansion of the residential area in 1920s, arising
out of the sale of the Ellesmere Estates, hundreds of houses
were built in close proximity to the Church.
Church recognised that it opened a door for further growth.
It was felt that a building, to seat around 400 people, with
suitable classrooms was imperative. The Rev Johns in his letter
to Church members and friends said: "We must seize
the day. We can commence building as soon as we have £2,000
in hand. Already, owing to your energetic service during one
year, we have about £700. This is the day that the Lord hath
made; let us rejoice and the glad in it."
Sunday School building was constructed in 1932 and has ever
since been a focal point for community events and activity.
are now building on our Heritage and using the buildings for worship and all kinds of activities which benefit our Community.